There are many Biblical ‘scholars’ who teach that especially the New Testament is not from God. It is only a human book and there are problems with the human authors. How do we, as followers of Jesus, respond to that? First of all, because Scripture is a product of God, it is a mystery in some ways. For example,
# God spoke through the prophets and through Jesus.
‘In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, and through whom He made the universe.’ 1
There was close cooperation between God and the prophets and God and Jesus.
# When Scripture speaks it is God who speaks.
- ‘The Scripture…announced the gospel in advance to Abraham….’ 2 ‘The Lord had said to Abram….’ 3 We find the same in Romans 9:17, “The Scripture says to Pharaoh…’” and in 11:2, ‘And what was God’s answer….’
There is close cooperation between God and Scripture.
# God told Jesus what to say and how to say it.
- Jesus said, ‘…I did not speak on my own accord, but my Father who sent me, commanded me what to say and how to say it.’ 4
- When Jesus spoke, God spoke because Jesus and the Father are one. 5
- The book of Revelation begins, ‘The revelation of Jesus Christ that God gave Him.…’ 6
There was close cooperation between Father and Son.
# God and Jesus revealed their plans to Paul.
- Paul claims that men did not send him, but Jesus and God the Father did. ‘Paul, an apostle, sent not from men nor by men, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father….’ 7
- He is very clear about what he teaches, ‘I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. I did not receive it from man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.’ 8
- Paul’s words were God’s words, ’And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of man, but as it actually is, the word of God.’ 9
- ‘…we speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.’ 10
There was close cooperation between the human writers, Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit.
Don’t let anybody convince you that Scripture is anything else than a thoroughly God-given product. It leads to eternal life, as Jesus said, ‘I [Jesus] know that His [God’s] commands lead to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.’ 11
- Hebrews 1:1-2
- Galatians 3:8
- Genesis 12:1
- John 12:49
- John 10:30
- Revelation 1:1
- Galatians 1:1
- Galatians 1:11-12
- 1 Thessalonians 2:13
- 1 Corinthians 2:13
- John 12:50