Most people want to save money. God is also big in the money saving business. God made Adam and Eve to live in peace in the garden of Eden. They lost their privileged position, and ended up living in a world where the devil is the ruler. He likes to put us under stress with worries, jealousy and refusal to forgive those who sin against us. Yet for the follower of Jesus, the Holy Spirit has some sound advice in Scripture.
# Reduce your medical bills
- When people fall into the devil’s traps of negative emotions, they usually don’t know how to handle it in God’s presence. So it soon affects their health and medical bills pile up. With the help of the Holy Spirit we can cleanse our bodies from toxic thoughts. The way to go is to ask the Holy Spirit where the ‘germs’ are, ‘Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.’ 1
- We really live in uncertain times. Governments are dishonest and economies falter. Yet we need not come down with fear related diseases that will deplete our finances. God’s medicine is very precise, ‘God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea. Though its waters roar and foam, and the mountains quake with their surging.’ 2 The Lord is, was and will be our fortress.
- In many countries crime is rife, but God helps there also. Psalm 91 teaches that God will protect those who trust in Him.
# Are God’s promises automatic for the believer?
- God created by speaking. 3 That is our clue. We can proclaim and remind God of His promises. We do it by prayer based on Bible reading, always under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- We can also proclaim His promises like Jeremiah whom God commissioned, ‘See, I have put my words in your mouth.’ 4 That also explains Joshua 1:8, ‘Do not let this book of the law depart from your mouth.’
- The question is, how many times do we have to remind God of His promises? The Holy Spirit will lead a person. When our daughter failed to fall pregnant, we reminded God daily, ‘Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and … will have a [child].’ 5 God honoured His Word. Within the year her little girl was born and God blessed her with three more kids.
To be a follower of God makes good economic sense. Seeking the Lord, always brings rewards. The ultimate reward will be in the presence of our wonderful Father for ever, where medical bills will never be an issue again.
- Psalm 139:23-24
- Psalm 46:1-2
- Genesis 1
- Jeremiah 1:9
- Genesis 18:13