Unbelievers love to ask, ‘if God made the universe, who made God?’ It is a question that especially Richard Dawkins is very fond of. Apparently unbelievers think it is a knock-out question.
# God is eternal
- The answer is very easy: the Bible describes an eternal God. 1 There is not much to say about eternal, because it means what it says. God has existed from eternity. We have no idea how it works, but it is the testimony of Scripture.
# How would we know that this eternal God exists?
- Let us imagine that from eternity there was nothing, except the eternal Trinity. A ‘nothingness’ with only the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Then on one specific ‘day’ they began ‘constructing’ the universe. Six days later it was there in all its glory. God’s creation shows that He exists.
# Is it a statement of faith, or based on fact?
Despite the frantic efforts of hundreds of researchers to prove the origins of the universe, the Solar System, earth and all life on it, nothing has yet been proven scientifically. Science is testable observable and repeatable. We must not confuse speculations with hard scientific evidence. Computer simulations and other speculations prove that origins are a mystery.
# Why the insistence that the big bang and evolution must be true?
- Both are efforts to deny that the Creator God exists. Scripture gives the clue, ‘For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without any excuse.’ 2
- If it can be ‘proven’ that nothing was created but all of nature is the result of the big bang and evolutionary happenings, then the existence of God can be denied. That is why most evolutionists are hardcore atheists. They think they have a ‘knock-out’ argument against the existence of God.
- This reliance that evolution is ‘fact,’ is one of the reasons why God tells us that there are ‘fools’ in the world. Psalm 14:1a says, “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.”’ Today it is strange that God regards many very clever people as ‘fools.’
- Who made the eternal God? He is eternal, so nobody can answer that question.
- What did the eternal God do to reveal Himself? He created. That has not been disproved by science.
God is eternal and alive.
- Deuteronomy 33:27; 1 Timothy 1:17
- Romans 1:20