A blog, ‘As Christianity declines in Europe, churches are put up for sale,’ 1 has some interesting details.
# A report from the Wall Street Journal
“There are literally hundreds of churches in Western Europe, from England to Denmark closing up.
‘It reflects the rapid weakening of faith in Europe….’
- The Church of England closes about 20 churches a year.
- Roughly 200 Danish churches have been deemed nonviable or underused.
- The Roman Catholic Church in Germany has shut about 515 churches in the past decade.
- In the Netherlands the country’s Roman Catholic leaders estimate that two-thirds of their 1600 churches will be out of commission in a decade, and 700 of Holland’s Protestant churches are expected to close within four years.” 1
# What caused the decline of church attendance?
- One reason they give is that churches no longer fulfil the function of welfare. The state now does it. So churches have become redundant.
- We want to propose another reason. The onslaught of atheists and evolutionists, ably helped by unbelieving theologians and pastors, have reduced the Bible to…’just a human book with fables and myths.’ No wonder people are not interested in what is deemed an irrelevant Book of God.
# Banning God creates a spiritual vacuum in society.
While atheists and other enemies of God probably rejoice when societies banish the Bible and churches are shut, it is interesting to see another phenomenon. When you chase the God of the Bible away, you open the door to other ‘gods.’ The occult, New Age, other strange ideologies and Islam fill the gap.
# The Bible foretold it.
- One of the remarkable proofs that the Bible is a supernatural book, is that it predicted this about 3,000 years ago, ‘Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth take their stand, and the rulers gather together against the Lord and His Anointed One. ‘Let us break their chains,’ they say, ‘and throw off their fetters.'” 2
- The laws against teaching the Bible, the discrimination against followers of Jesus, the determination to ban criticism of evolution (its main function is to ‘eradicate’ the Bible) are the efforts of people, leaders and kings.
- However, there is a price to pay. People’s lives are messed up because they lose their eternal perspective and the hope of everlasting life.
When you get rid of God there are always consequences. The Old Testament has ample evidence that the Jewish kingdom declined because they forsook God and turned to idolatry and licentious living. As God’s followers it is our duty to uphold the truths of the Bible. We do that when we live them and learn how to answer the lies the devil spreads about God’s wonderful Book.
- Wintery Knight, As Christianity declines in Europe, churches are put up for sale, 10 April, 2016.
- Psalm 2:1-3