Many voices in our time call for the rejection of the Bible. They maintain that it is only a human document. Are these critics of the Bible qualified to give an opinion? Let’s see what a qualified Bible theologian says.
# The opinion of a Bible expert
Dick Wilson was one of the older generation theologians who still loved the Lord. He was at home in some 45 languages and dialects to prove the accuracy of the Old Testament. 1 He said:
- ‘…I contend that our text of the Old Testament is presumptively correct, that its meaning is on the whole clear and trustworthy, and that we can as theists [people who believe in one God] and Christians conscientiously and reasonably believe that the Old Testament as we have it is what it purports to be and what Christ and the apostles thought it to be, and what all churches have always declared it to be — the Word of God and the infallible rule of faith and practice.’ 2
- ‘…we are scientifically certain that we have substantially the same text that was in the possession of Christ and the apostles and, so far as anybody knows, the same as that written by the original composers of the Old Testament documents.’ 3
- ‘In conclusion, let me reiterate my conviction that no-one knows enough that the true text of the Old Testament in its true interpretation is not true.’ 4
# The Old and New Testaments are a unit
Dick Wilson concentrated mainly on the Old Testament. Yet the Old and the New Testaments form a unit. The following quotes demonstrate it.
- Acts 4:25, ‘You spoke by the Holy Spirit through the mouth of your servant, our father David…..’
- “For to which of the angels did God ever say, ‘You are my Son, today I have become your Father?’” This quote in Hebrews 1:5 comes from Psalm 2:7.
- Romans 9:17a: ‘For the Scripture says to Pharaoh….’ It comes from Exodus 9:12-16 where God told Moses to go to Pharaoh with His message.
- ‘Don’t you know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah….’ Romans 11:2-3 refers to 1 Kings 19:10,14.
In the examples we see how the Old and New Testaments are connected.
Whatever the critics claim, it is way more advantageous to trust the Lord and study Scripture with the help of the Holy Spirit. There are too many voices that want to lead us astray and destroy our future hope: ‘…Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God.’ 5
- D Wilson, A Scientific Investigation of the Old Testament, Moody Press, 1959, p 22
- Ibid p 9
- Ibid p 10
- Ibid p 13
- Revelation 21:3