In the blog Why is hell so horrific? we discussed that God specifically designed hell for the devil and the angels who became God’s adversaries. But what did God design for the other angels and human beings?
# What happened to the ‘loyal’ angels?
In Mark 8:38 the loyal angels are called ‘holy angels.’ They still continue to serve God:
- In Revelation 1:1 God sent an angel: ‘The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John.’
- In Revelation 8:2 angels administer the last judgements: ‘And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and to them were given seven trumpets.’
- In Revelation 5:11 the loyal angels worship God: ‘Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand [100,000,000 angels]. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they sang….’
# What did God plan for man?
Humans were made in God’s image, so we expect that they should be a high priority in God’s plan:
- God assigned man a very specific place to live: ‘The highest heavens belong to the Lord, but the earth He has given to man.’ 1
- God’s future plan for man is something much more wonderful: ‘…No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him.’ 2
- God planned that this present heaven and earth will one day be destroyed. Then God will replace it by an absolutely wonderful new heaven and earth where He will live with His people eternally: ‘…Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God.’ 3
- God planned that all people would share His eternal Kingdom of peace and happiness with Him: ‘…This is good, and pleases God our Saviour, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.’ 4 There will be no disease or death, but only peace and happiness for all who will see God’s face and serve Him. 5
- God planned hell for the devil and his rebellious followers, the fallen angels.
- God planned ‘heaven’ (the eventual new physical heavens and earth, the home of righteousness) for the loyal angels and human beings.
- Psalm 115:16
- 1 Corinthians 2:9
- Revelation 21:3
- 1 Timothy 2:3
- Revelation 22:4