Why do skeptics regularly question the resurrection of Jesus? It is because it is such an important ‘ingredient’ in God’s Kingdom. We need to remember that the Bible is not an ordinary book. It begins with a miracle – the creation. So the miracle of the resurrection is the Bible’s ‘normal.’
# There is a thread throughout Scripture that reminds us that the resurrection is vital.
Without it there cannot be eternal life with the Bridegroom, Jesus. For example, Adam and Eve were evicted from the garden of Eden, but God promised that He will make a way to get people back into the garden of Eden. That Garden will be the whole new earth. Many billions of people who will be part of the Bride of Christ, will live there eternally. The resurrection is absolutely necessary for that to happen.
# More reminders of the resurrection
- Abraham believed that God could bring Isaac back to life. 1 ‘Abraham reasoned that God could raise the dead….’ 2
- Job said, ‘I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth…. I myself will see Him with my own eyes.’ 3
- Psalm 16:9-10 says, ‘…you will not abandon me [the Messiah, Jesus] to the grave, nor will your holy one see decay.’
- Daniel prophesied the resurrection, ‘Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to everlasting contempt..’ 4
- Isaiah 53:10-12 predicted that the resurrection of Jesus Christ would resound around the world: God accepted the payment of sin by His Son Jesus and showed it when He raised Jesus from the dead. ‘He is the …first-born from among the dead.’ 5
- That is what Peter reminded the people about in his speech after they were baptised by the Holy Spirit, ‘But God raised Him from the dead, freeing Him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on Him.’ 6
# Is there proof that Jesus rose from the dead?
The spread of the Gospel around the globe since the time of the resurrection is the proof. The Holy Spirit works in men to bring the glad tidings of Jesus’ resurrection throughout the world. ‘We tell you the good news: What God promised our fathers He has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus.’ 7
We thank and glorify the Father and the Holy Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead. 8
- Genesis 22:1-14
- Job 19:25-27
- Daniel 12:2
- Colossians 1:18
- Acts 2:24
- Acts 13:32
- Romans 1:4; Ephesians 1:19-20