The Church in general is very confused about the gay issue. It might be of some help to look at the basics when God created the man and the woman.
# In the beginning God created them male and female. 1
The Holy Spirit inspired writer added important details.
- “The Lord God said, ‘It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.’” 2 Notice the specific emphasis that Adam was originally alone.
- The detail of how God created the man and woman, tells us they are different in some aspects, ‘So the Lord God caused Adam to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, He took one of the man’s ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib He had taken out of the man, and He brought her to man.’ 3
- Adam was very pleased, and said, ‘This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh.’ 4 Scripture tells us, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.’ 5 That was God’s goal, a unity.
# Three remarks
- Men and women are different. 6 The title of the book by John Gray, ’Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus’ sums it up nicely. 7
- Are women inferior to men? No! ‘As some of the Reformers put it, woman was not taken from man’s feet, as if she were beneath him, or from his head, as if she were over him, but from his side, as an equal with him.’ 3
- Men and women have the same physical chemistry: atoms, molecules, et cetera (‘bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh’), but they have different roles illustrated in how God made them.
# The man and woman are a shadow of Jesus and His Bride.
God planned marriage where the husband and wife differ, but complement each other. Similarly the Bride of Jesus Christ came from His side, when the soldier pierced it. The blood and water that flowed ‘created’ the Church. So Jesus and the Church are different, like man and woman, but a unity.
The ‘marriage’ between Jesus and the Church is unchangeable, an eternal union, ‘Let us rejoice and give Him [God] glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and His bride has made herself ready.’ 9
When the New Testament discusses marriage, the only model is a man and a woman, because Jesus and the Church relationship is unique, unchangeable and designed by God.
Men and women differ. Jesus and the Church differ. It is God’s design.
- Genesis 1:27, Matthew 19:4
- Genesis 2:18
- WC Kaiser et all, Hard Sayings of the Bible, InterVarsity Press, 1996, p 95
- Genesis 2:23
- Genesis 2:24
- B Carey, Men and Women Really do Think Differently, Livescience, January 20, 2005; R Nixon, Matters of the Brain, Why Men and Women are so Different, Livescience, May 01, 2012; R Lewis, How Men’s Brains are Wired Differently than Women’s, Livescience, December 02, 2013; A Hensley, 10 Big Differences Between Men’s and Women’s Brains, Masters of Healthcare, June 16, 2009; Web MD, How Male and Female Brains Differ.
- John Gray, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, HarperThorsons, 1992.
- WC Kaiser et all, Hard Sayings of the Bible, InterVarsity Press, 1996, p 93,94.
- Revelation 19:7; Revelation 22:16-17