There is a division in the Church between people who believe God created the heavens and earth in six days, and those who believe the earth is billions of years old. Both groups claim they believe the Scriptures. Does it matter what one believes? We believe it does.
In Genesis 1 (the beginning of the Bible) God teaches that He created the natural universe in six 24 hour days by His mighty power. In Revelation 21:1 (the end of the Bible) we read, ‘Then I saw a new heaven and earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away….’ The first creation was natural, the second will be supernatural:
- ‘The city (the New Jerusalem) does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.’ 1
- On the new earth, the tree of life, next to the river of life, will yield its fruit every month.2 Ordinary fruit trees in the natural world usually bear only once a year.
- Here all people die, but there the followers of Jesus will know no pain or death.3
Who will create this strange new world? In Isaiah 65:17 we read, ‘Behold, I [God] will create new heavens and a new earth.’ God will do it. However, only if God created the first, can we infer that He has the power to create the second. If God could not create the natural universe, He can’t create the second. That is obvious. This is the problem that the believer in evolution faces: where will our final eternal dwelling come from, if the natural universe evolved by chance?
- If someone believes in an old earth or universe, it automatically excludes God as the all-powerful Creator. Evolution is then the creator. Can evolution ‘create’ the supernatural universe? And if so, how many billions or trillions of years will it take? If the first allegedly took 17,6 billion years, it means the second might take 100, 500 or 1,000 billion years. Where will believers have to wait for that to happen and what if it does not happen?
- What about the fire with which God is going to destroy the present universe? ‘But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.’ 4 It needs a massive fire to destroy the present universe and burn up the elements. There is no natural explanation for it.
- If six days creation was not done by God, this universe is not His ‘property.’ Then He has no authority to plan anything like an eternal Kingdom.
- If God is not all powerful, why should we obey Him?
- If Genesis 1 is not true, why is the rest of the Bible true?
Either God is the supernatural Creator of both Genesis 1:1 and Revelation 21:1, or He is not. If you deny the one you might as well stop hoping for the eternal Kingdom of peace and happiness, because it cannot evolve.
- Revelation 21:23
- Revelation 22:2
- Revelation 21:4
- 2 Peter 3:10