Guy Harrison is civil in his book, 50 Simple Questions to Every Christian, but we still wonder
if he really understands the Bible? And that includes all skeptics, atheists and unbelievers. The Bible is a relatively closed Book to them for the following reasons:
1. God does not share His plans with people who oppose Him. For example, will a person who plans a huge project, share all the relevant information with people he knows will criticise, jeopardise, or sabotage his project? No, he will not, so why would God do it? The Bible reveals God’s plans for the creation of an eternal ‘security complex’ on the renewed earth. For that project He is gathering future citizens.
2. God has an enemy who would like to sabotage His project. God’s archenemy, the devil, hates Him with a passion. He initially worked for God, but decided he could do better. He reckoned there is no reason to obey the all-knowing, all-powerful God. It is stupid. ‘I will do my own thing,’ he thought. For that rebellion he will eventually land in God’s jail, hell.
3. God keeps some things secret. We read, ‘…we [Paul] speak of God’s secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age has understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.’ 1 The devil, if he knew God’s plan, would not have crucified Jesus. That would have stopped God’s plan completely for if Jesus was not crucified, the Kingdom would not be possible (then there is no pardon for sin). The devil and his followers, the demons, realised too late what God planned. They are furious and want to deceive as many people as possible about God’s brilliant project of an eternal Kingdom.
4. God’s enemy blinds people to His plan. The Holy Spirit reveals and the devil conceals the truth of the Bible.
- For those who love Jesus, the Holy Spirit is there to teach them. The Holy Spirit knows what is in God’s heart. He inspired the writers of Scripture and He will help people to understand God’s brilliant plan. The Holy Spirit is not available to unbelievers.
- For those who hate God or cannot care less, the devil is there to tell them how stupid the Bible is. The devil ‘helps’ unbelievers by blinding them to Scripture: ‘The god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.’ 2
Atheists cannot understand how precious the Bible is, or what it really teaches. Influenced by the devil, they like to criticise and abuse it, but without insight. Their criticism of God and His Book should increase our confidence in Scripture. Unbelievers don’t spend their time and energy to denounce Zeus or other imaginary gods. Only because God is real, is there this war against Him and His Book. Nobody fights against a dead person. Jesus is alive and well and His faithful followers are looking forward to be with Him eternally.
- 1 Corinthians 2:7-8
- 2 Corinthians 4:4