God has an enemy, the devil, or Satan. He hates the Bible, because it explains that he was defeated on the cross by Jesus (so we can resist him in the name of Jesus and he has to flee 1); that he will spend eternity in the lake of burning sulphur, being tortured day and night 2 (he hates it that people can read what his future will be); that he wants to keep people in his kingdom of darkness (then they cannot see how wonderful God is).
So he tries to prevent believers from reading and studying the Bible. When a child of God wants to read his or her Bible, she suddenly becomes very sleepy, hungry, tired, bored, remembers about urgent work or business, a child or pet becomes a nuisance, et cetera. It is all part of his plan to keep Christians away from their Bibles.
Therefore children of God often don’t know their Bibles well and surveys confirm it. They say that the faith of many believers is a mile wide and an inch deep. It is therefore necessary to climb over the devil’s Bible barrier in the following ways:
- Call on the Holy Spirit and ask for help to study and enjoy the Bible. ‘…the Councillor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.’ 3 The Holy Spirit inspired the prophets who wrote the Bible books, so it is logical that He is able to help us to read it and understand it.
- Build a relationship with the God behind the words. Jesus said, ‘Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.’ 4 We are going to spend an eternity with God and Jesus, and the place to get to know them is in the Bible.
- Hear God speaking to you. Understand that God speaks to you individually in the Bible. ‘…have you not read what God said to you…?’ 5In Scripture we don’t only read about God, who He is, what He plans, and what He did and does, but what He says to us.
- Understand God’s eternal Kingdom of peace. God the Father, the Holy Spirit and Jesus with His bride is a family, and they will be eternally together on the new heavens and earth. The more we learn about God and His wonderful plan for man, the more we will love Him.
- Guard against false teaching by knowing the Bible. It abounds in our times. When the Sadducees asked Jesus about life after death, Jesus reminded them that they did not know the Scriptures, ‘You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.’ 6
- Sit at Jesus’ feet. Jesus is the Word. 7 The amount of time you spend on your Bible show how much you love Jesus.
The greatest command is still ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 8 Scripture is indispensable to do it.
- James 4:7
- Revelation 20:10
- John 14:26
- John 17:3
- Matthew 22:31
- Matthew 22:29
- John 1:1,14 & Revelation 19:13
- Mark 12:30