The controversy about same sex marriages is a lingering issue in the Church. Some churches have no objection if a person claims to love Jesus when he or she is in a same sex relationship. Other churches do not condone it. It is not for us to judge, but we want to look at why God seems to be against homosexuality? Why doesn’t He change His standards when gay people profess to be Christians?
It is interesting that God created the family: man, woman and children. This principle of the family impacts three areas of Bible theology.
- The Trinity is like a family. The Bible reveals God as, God the Father, God the Son (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit has functions like a mother. We are born again through the Spirit and He comforts, teaches, helps and guides the children of God. The Trinity is foundational, they are eternal and it makes absolute sense in God’s revelation.
- God is depicted as the Husband of His wife, Israel.1 God will never divorce her and He was very upset about her immorality (worshipping other gods).
- Jesus is the Bridegroom2 and the Church is the Bride.3 In Ephesians 5:22-32 the husband-wife relationship is compared to the Jesus-Church relationship. A man will leave his father and mother and become united to his wife, so that they become one flesh. The Jesus-Church relationship also works in the same way. It is what Paul calls a profound mystery.4 In 2 Corinthians 11:2 we read, ‘I promised you to one Husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to Him.’
This means, if we change the husband-wife picture, we change the Trinity, God-Israel and Jesus-Church pictures. That will cause major adjustments in the theology of the Bible. Is God going to do it? It doesn’t look like it, since Jesus said, ‘…Scripture cannot be broken.’ 5
Who are the people who will not inherit the Kingdom of God unless they are forgiven and changed by the Holy Spirit? The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexual offenders, greedy, drunkards, slanderers, swindlers, thieves, murderers, liars.6 Most of these people do not put continual pressure on the Church to condone their behaviour. They realise that their actions are wrong and that they will miss the Kingdom if they do not change. It is the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender), group who pressurise the Church to condone their behaviour.
The pressure on the Church to accept homosexuality, is not so much to condone what God has decided is wrong. The reason the devil wants to make the LGBT group very prominent, is because it has to do with major theological principles. It is to change the fundamental structure of the Bible. He wants the Church to compromise the character of the Trinity and the Gospel by changing the man-woman marriage picture. If you denounce the Trinity, the structure of the Bible and God’s dealings with people have to change, but God is not going to change one iota of Scripture.
- Hosea 2:16, 5:4; Ezekiel 16:32, 23:5
- John 3:29
- Revelation 19:7
- Ephesians 5:32
- John 10:35
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Revelation 20:8