Neil deGrasse Tyson is the presenter of the television series, Cosmos:A Space Time Odyssey that
started in March 2014. He made the following challenging statement, “There is no example of someone reading their scripture and saying, ‘I have a prediction about the world that no one knows yet, because this gave me insight. Let’s go test that prediction,’ and have the prediction correct.” 1
What he inferred is that the Bible and its creation account must be removed from the scientific scene. Science can make predictions and the Bible cannot. We, based on our belief that the Bible is true, predict the following two things:
- Science will never be able to solve the riddle of the origin of the universe, our solar system, and life on earth.
- Science will reveal ever added layers of complexity, especially when it comes to the biological world. This means solving life’s evolutionary origin question will become more difficult.
Concerning prediction 1
It is difficult for science to solve the origins issue, because each part of the creation that God made is unique: the universe, our solar system, the sun, moon, our earth, water, plants, microbes, insects, reptiles, fish, birds, animals and humans. For example,
- The big bang. We often hear about the big bang and why it is true. Yet no one can explain precisely where the singularity that exploded or expanded to form the universe came from. We are expected to believe the fairy tales that it just popped into existence.
- A multiverse. Another way to skirt around the origins issue is to claim we live in a multiverse. Really? How are we to know? We are expected to believe it by faith (that there is no Creator God, because out of millions of universes there was one that produced life by chance).
- The solar system. Does the Solar Nebula Hypothesis explain the origin of our solar system, with its different planets and unique sun? Why is only the earth life friendly? Billions are spent to look for earth-like planets out there. It is reported that they find many. We are waiting for the observable proof that there is life on them. We might wait for a very long time, because we are told God made only one, unique habitable planet. In science fiction they travel quickly to other planets and meet the aliens. In real life it is more difficult, if not impossible.
Concerning prediction 2
The hope to prove that life created itself is like trying to reach the end of the rainbow. It remains elusive.
- Scientists find additional complexity all the time, because of better scientific apparatus and methods. Science is a problem for evolution because it continually discovers more layers of complexity. That makes evolution even less possible. An example is DNA. Scientists realise that it is even more intricate than they thought initially. Instead of solving the problem of how things evolved, the problems increase. 2
- Billions are and will be spent trying to solve the riddle of natural origins through evolution. Our prediction is that it will not be successful, because life is too unique. The side issues will be explained, but origins never. That excludes the fact that propaganda for evolution improves all the time.
Question: We hear about long lists of earth-like planets, have any stood close scrutiny?
- Neil deGrasse Tyson: Enlightened religious people….don’t try to use the Bible as a textbook, Sarah Gray, Monday, March 10, 2014, http://www.salon.com/2014/93/10/neil_degrasse_tyson_enlightened_religious_people_dont_try_to_use_bible_as_textbook/
- Three More Codes in Nature to Decipher, Evolution News & Views, March 11, 2014, http://www.evolutionnews. org/2014/03/three_more_code083081.html