We live in a society filled with the ‘science’ of evolution. Charles Darwin, the ‘father’ of evolution, sent the message into the world that there is no Creator, because everything just evolved naturally.
It would be interesting to know how many books, lectures, time, money, scientific experiments and research is done to disprove Genesis 1:1, ‘In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.’ These words display the authority of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The creation establishes Him as the Owner, the One who commanded and it was created.
The first chapter in the Bible is all about the six days of creation. It is a very contentious issue in the Church today. Why does creation in 6 days cause so much debate? It is because:
- It is the foundation of the Bible. If the first verse in the Bible (6 day creation by God) is not true, why should we trust the rest of the Bible?
- The message of the Bible is that God is establishing His eternal Kingdom. He is able to do that because the universe belongs to Him. The creation of the heavens and the earth gave Him the right of ownership.
- Without the account of creation in six days, we would have no reason to believe in miracles. If God is not the Creator, there is no way to explain miracles. If He is, miracles are commonplace in His kingdom. God’s power displayed in creation is the basis of all the other miracles, whether by Him or Jesus (who is the Creator, John 1:3).
- Because of creation, God has the right to make decrees or laws, like ‘the wages of sin is death’, or ‘forgiveness is only through blood.’ That is why atheists and unbelievers are so adamant that God has no right to make laws (according to them He is not the Creator).
- To get rid of God, you have to get rid of Israel. It is mostly in that geographical area that God revealed Himself in history.
- To get rid of the Creator you have to explain how the genetic code evolved without an intelligent programmer. That can never be done, therefore atheism is a mind exercise: they have to believe God doesn’t exist, but there is no evidence that He doesn’t.
- In Revelation 21:1 we read about ‘a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away.’ If God did not create the present heavens and earth, how will He be the Creator of the new heaven and earth? If God did not create in Genesis 1, then Revelation 21 will remain a myth, a dream and a pie in the sky.
- The devil knows the importance of creation. He devotes lots of his time to debunk it, especially through evolution, and lately through the heightened efforts of atheists and unbelievers. The war against the Word of God is raging in our contemporary society with a hostility that is almost unbelievable, considering the ‘civilised’ world we live in.
The Bible stands or falls with creation in six days. Genesis 1 displays the wisdom, intelligence, and omnipotence of the most holy God. The character of the Bible depends on Genesis 1. People, places, times and history all came and come from Genesis 1.
We will discuss what the Bible and science teaches us about this contested issue.