For a large part of my life I wondered: What is life about? What am I doing here? Is there really a God? Is the Bible true? As I researched and studied I discovered that Scripture makes perfect logical sense (the Holy Spirit answered all my questions). When it comes to science, the Bible does not need to hide its head in the sand, because its facts are scientific.
I discovered that I was not the only one musing about life. Three questions have always intrigued humanity:
- Where do I come from?
- Why am I here?
- What happens after death?
Through the ages many philosophers and other wise and clever people proposed answers. Each person had his individual opinion, but in every case it is difficult or impossible to verify. In our time there are two main books that give answers to these questions.
- The Bible or the Word of God (it consists of 66 books written by about 40 writers between 1,400 BC and 70 AD). Those who embrace the answers this book gives are known as followers of Jesus Christ.
- ‘On the Origin of Species by means of Natural Selection or, the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life,’ by Charles Darwin (written in 1859). Those who embrace the answers this book gives are known as evolutionists or even atheists (apposing the answers in the Bible).
Why is the issue important?
It is vital to know the answers to these questions because they have massive implications. The Bible tells us about an age to come. Evolution denies it. Which is one true? If there is life after death, it will be for very long (never ending).
- The Bible tells us that there is an invisible God who has a wonderful plan for man. His plan begins with the creation of the universe and our unique planet with life on it. He created the first two human beings to live on the planet, fill it with offspring and rule over it. This present creation is only a probation period where man chooses his eternal destination. There is life after death, with two different locations, one good and one bad. We are exhorted to go for the good one and the directions are given in Scripture.
- Evolution teaches the complete opposite: The universe, our planet and all life on it (including people) evolved by chance without plan or purpose. Life forms exist to reproduce and die. There is nothing after death, so you can do what you like and live as you please (within the boundaries of your country’s laws).
We want to take a comprehensive look at the two alternatives, compare them and test if their answers satisfy us. To do that we will use forensics (like a detective) to gather the data and then come to a conclusion. It is true that forensic researchers are not without a bias. We all have it, unless we are dead. The Bible believer has a bias, as well as the evolutionist and atheist.
So we need a third party in this forensic process. There is one in the form of operational science. We discuss it later, but please don’t make the mistake of thinking that evolution is science. The Bible stands on its own and evolution should also. We will take note of what modern science has revealed about creation, astronomy, geology and biology.